Hyderabadi Veg Biryani is another famous legandary and authentic royal dish with the aroma of spices, saffron,ghee. Fried onions mix with yogurt and a subtle of succulent vegetables cooked and dum in a traditional way. I am fond of mutton Biryani but, I really enjoyed making Hyderabadi Veg Biryani with the layers of rice and vegetables turn out super delicious.
I have shared the step by step method to prepare a delicious veg Biryani below with the detailed pictures. I hope you enjoy making the biryani as much as I did :-). If you like it, please share it with friends & family
In a deep bottom vessel or in a pressure cooker heat oil add Shahi jeera and sliced onions cook on a high flame for atleast 10_15 minutes till the onions turns golden brown.
Peel ginger and garlic crushed them roughly.
Add ginger and garlic to the onions cook until the raw aroma of ginger and garlic goes away.
Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder.
Add almond and raisins.
Add vegetables and yogurt. Cook on a low flame. Or pressure cook for 2 whistles.
Check the consistency of the gravy. It must be thick and the oil leaves side of the pan. Then it’s done.
Soak rice for 30_45 minutes. In a large vessel pour water till half of the vessel and bring it to boil. Add cardamom, cinnamon stick, mint leaves, bay leaves and salt. Add the rice.
Cook the rice till half done.
Assemble the rice and gravy. Cover the lid. Let it simmer and cook for 20_25 minutes.
Let it rest for 5 minutes. Serve biryani with onion raita.
For Vegetable Gravy
- 5 medium size onions
- 10 gram ginger
- 5_6 garlic cloves
- 1 cup thick yogurt
- 4_5 green chillies
- 2 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Shahi jeera
- Salt as needed
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves and mint leaves
- 3 carrots
- 2 potatoes
- 2 tomatoes
- 7_8 beans
- 1/4 cup double beans
- 8_10 almonds
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 10 _12 stands saffron
- 4 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Soak saffron strands 1/4 cup warm milk for 30 mins. Keep it aside.
- Wash and soak rice for about 30 minutes.
- In a large pot, add water, rice, oil, salt, cardamom, cinnamon stick, bay leaves and mint leaves. Now add rice.
- Let it cook until rice is cooked. Drain and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a deep bottom vessel or pressure cooker.
- Add sliced onions and sauté until they are golden in color.
- Peel and crush the ginger and garlic add them to the onions cook until the raw aroma goes away.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, almonds and raisins. Stir well.
- Add chopped vegetables, green chillies, tomato puree mix well cook for 5 minutes on a low flame.
- Add thick yogurt gently mix it.
cook covered on medium-low heat until the veggies are cooked and raw smell is gone.
- Take 1/2 of the cooked veggies masala and spread it in a pan or handi to form layer 1.
- Take 1/2 of the cooked rice and spread over to form layer 2.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp fried onions over it.
- Sprinkle mint leaves and coriander leaves over it.
- Take rest of the of cooked veggies and spread it over gravy to form layer. Add ghee on top.
- Now take rest of the cooked rice and spread it in a pan or handi to form layer
Sprinkle 1 tbsp fried onions over it.
Sprinkle mint leaves and coriander leaves. Cover tightly with the lid.
- Place the hot water vessel on top the biryani rice to get heat from top and bottom.
- Cook it on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- serve biryani hot with a raita and chutney.
- For this recipe, I have used tomato puree. You can completely avoid it.
- You can use any of your favorite vegetables for this biryani.